Monday, November 15, 2010

Consistent Connections

I believe it’s in the consistent little things we make a difference. As with anything in our lives we can build something with stick-to-itiveness. The same is with our kids. Whether on the spectrum or not. With consistency we can teach a myriad of things. But since I only have one child and she’s on the spectrum I can truthfully only speak from my experiences.

Let’s face it, there are days I’m tired. I just want to sleep in and not have to deal with the stresses of everyday life. Of course, I don’t have that luxury any longer. The days of staying up late and sleeping past 9 are in the distant past. My girl is awake with the first crack of light and she has NEVER taken a nap… NEVER! So for over 8 years we roll from the minute her feet hit the floor until it’s bedtime. So you can say, to be on my A game is vitally important everyday. But, I can’t honestly say I am. This is by far the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. I thought I was prepared to be a parent… of a typical kid. But, one with autism? I have to believe God knew what He was doing. I have to draw from the truths I have been taught, He will never put more on me than I can bare.

Ok, so with this said… being consistent while teaching fundamentally basic concepts… uhm, let’s just say I’m not consistent! I wish I were super mom who could do it all. But, it’s a miracle some days she is clothed and fed. Most days I am in survival mode, running defense and putting out fires. She is one busy girl to say the least. I wish I could bottle that energy, I would make a fortune!

But, this morning it was good… I mean really good. We communicated. It may not have been about what she was going to wear or what she wanted for Christmas. But, we communicated meaningfully. From the moment I opened the door to her room to get her up for school we chatted. I asked her how she slept. She didn’t say anything. Then I said the magic words… “Let’s get up, we need to get ready for school.” Her first response was “In the car?” me- “Yup we are going to school in the car” From this moment on I thought I would take advantage of this situation and try to connect and it was good. We really connected. She even gave me a kiss, unwarranted. Maybe she was saying thank you for caring mommy to try to talk to me. I don’t know. But, it sure felt good!

Things are far from perfect. But, hopefully being consistent in trying to reach her just a little bit everyday will let her know I think she is worthwhile. I value you as a human being. You have importance. Even if she doesn’t communicate like everyone else… I made a connection. I’m going to do this again even if I don’t make a connection… I will stay consistent!

No comments: