Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Going the distance!




I recently started working in the office at my daughter's school. It's not your typical school. It's a center for children with autism. I love the fact each child is being reached on their particular level. There is such a peaceful presence when you walk in the door.





We started out at home until we thought she was ready to make the move into public schools. Unfortunately, that didn't work. It was a complete failure. Thankfully, a friend was starting this center and it has been a God-send! She has flourished since being out of the house and around others. Her language has really taken off... what an awesome thing!!



Today, I had the distinct pleasure of talking to a mom who's child was recently diagnosed with autism. In a moment, all of the emotions I felt came back in a flood. I wanted to reach through the phone and just give her a hug. No one understands me like another mom with a child with autism. You understand my daily worries and struggles. You get me and my kid and for that I'm eternally grateful! I wanted to make it all better for her. I wanted to go to her home and help her. I offered her everything I knew I could, without overwhelming her. I have the tendency to do that...lol! But, as much as I wanted to help her, I can't do it all. Some things you have to go through yourself. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, right?



Recently a friend said to me... "no one is going to take your daughter across the finish line but YOU! No BCBA! No tutor! No one, but YOU!"


She's right, if Lauren is going to get better, I have to be the CEO of this business and run it like a business. I know it may sound crazy and impersonal. But, think about all of the ins and outs involved... you have to run it like a business. No fooling around with the bottom line. What's the bottom line? Lauren is the bottom line! God gave her to me for a reason and whatever the reason... He must have felt I could handle the challenge and both of our lives would be fruitless without each other.




So, I encourage you to take ownership of your child's future. Arm yourself with the know-how. You have been given a task and some One thought you could handle it or He would have give it to someone else!




Carpe Diem!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So very true. Thanks for listening to me and caring! Love you, girl!